Q. Glen, I want to Exercise more, Eat Healthier but I can not stay motivated! Do you have any tips?
A.You can have the best exercises and intentions, but it's all worthless without the motivation. Here's how to maximize yours -- and push yourself harder, farther, and faster
There will be days (every day?) when you don't feel like doing your workout.
Sometimes you don't want to get out of bed.
Sometimes you don't want to leave your office because you feel like there are too many deadlines (this is when you need a workout the most!).
Sometimes you don't want to end storytime with the kids only to head down to the basement gym.
It even happens to me.
So if you are set on achieving a goal, then when it's workout time, come heck or high water you've got to bear down and do the job.
1) Reward yourself. Finish your workout and treat yourself to a magazine, a TV show, some extra time with your family, some new songs for your IPOD, or even a little extra time for yourself.
2) Or set up a punishment for missing workouts. Skip the workout, put $20 into a jar to spend on home repairs. Make sure your spouse controls the jar.
3) Review your goals everyday and every night. Keeping your goals fresh in your mind will help you stay on track.
4) Realize that the hardest part of the workout is often getting your butt to the gym. Once you get 5 minutes into the workout, you will be over the hump. So tell yourself, "I'll just go in and do 1 set of the first 2 exercises, then I can go". Next thing you know, you'll have done the entire workout.
5) Visualize yourself doing a great workout and finishing strong. Get yourself mentally prepared and you will literally have better workouts each time.
6) Crank the tunes. Seriously, nothing motivates like music.
7) Get social support. If you have a workout partner, you'll feel like crap if you let them down.Now get out there and kick the fat to the curb,
Any personal health questions or problems mental or physical or before starting any diet or exercise program. Please consult your physician !
Yours in good health