Q. Glen, I'm on a Low Carb Diet! I miss my Carbs, What can I do ?
A. When you're a low-carb devotee, it's the simple things (carbs) you miss the most. Bread and mashed potatoes become things of the past. This is a sad reality of your newly chosen lifestyle. But, if you're a smart low-carb eater, a substitution for those longings is just a list away.
Help is on the way. Take note of these low-carb substitutes!
1. Faux-tatoes Anyone? Who says you can't have your potato and eat, it too? You can when you switch mashed potatoes for mashed cauliflower! Simply steam up a whole head of cauliflower until it is tender. Now, add some cream cheese, butter and salt and pepper. Whir it up in the blender or food processor. This is so good, you're gonna wish you had made this sooner!
2. Going Crackers. So what if saltines are verboten? Genisoy brand crackers are delicious and work well for snacking up a storm. And, check this out lest you think I've lost my low-carb footing: there are only 12 grams of carbs in the 25 crackers they give you per serving! So, eat half and you're still in the low-carb ballpark. They're available in a variety of flavors and can be had at well-stocked grocery stores and health food stores.
3. Chips Ahoy! Chips are a snacker's divine right. Or, so we seem to think. But, if you're low carbing, they're a carbohydrate nightmare. Tortilla Factory has solved that problem with a great tasting low-carb tortilla. Try the garlic herb tortillas! Cut them into triangles, spray with some oil and crisp up in the oven (about 425 degrees F, for about 7 minutes). Best of all, there are only 3 net carbs per tortilla!
4. It Hasta be Pasta! A simple substitute for the oft-craved pasta is spaghetti squash. It truly does have a nice nutty flavor. Top it with a meaty spaghetti sauce and some grated Parmesan for an Italian feast. It may not be fettuccine, but it sure looks like angel hair!
5. Chocoholic's Relief. There are low-carb chocolates and then there is Asher's Peanut Butter Truffle bar. Available at GNC, this thing has only ONE net carb and will save you from a Reese's regret later.
7. Give Me Some Sugar. Most low-carb eaters point to the many-splendored benefits of Splenda. But give me Agave any day of the week. How many sweeteners do you know that have already been researched to show no ill side effects, Low Glycemic, are non-controversial and actually are all natural? Agave does all that and tastes just like sugar to boot.
8. Soy the Sauce. If flour is taboo and cornstarch too, whatcha gonna do when you need to thicken up a gravy or sauce? Try using a little soy flour in its place. Soy flour is low in carbs and will do the job regular old flour will do. Say no to the white stuff and oh boy to soy!
9. Beg for the Roots. Turn that around to be rutabagas. Come on... who do you know that actually buys and eats rutabagas? You will when you see how wonderful these tubers do as a quick stand-in for traditional potatoes in stews and soups. No one will know the difference.
10. Cereal Killer. There are loads of low-carb cereals available now. While they might be a little on the expensive side, they're well worth the cost -- especially if you're missing a bowl of something crunchy or hot in the morning. A personal favorite is Flax-O-Meal, available in a variety of flavors and in both cold and hot varieties.
Going low carb needn't take you away from your favorite foods. Just perhaps change them around a bit. Now that you have a handy list of what to get instead, head to the store and get shopping -- your excuses are gone!
Any personal health questions or problems mental or physical or before starting any diet or exercise program. Please consult your physician !
My mission is to provide you with "Trusted Advice for a Healthier Life."
Yours in good health