Q. Glen, I hear so much about Boot Camps What are They? And Should I Enlists?
A. Fitness boot camps are publicized as a great way to make over your body. But are these classes for you? Do thoughts of military-style workouts -- such as GI Jane performing endless pushups in the mud -- flash in your head?
If you imagine rolling in sand pits, whistles, stop watches and dirt under your fingernails, you are mistaken. Boot camps are a wonderful alternative form of exercise.
Who is it For?
Most boot camps are primarily for women although some camps are co-ed or men's only. Campers range in age from 18 to 65 years old, although you may see teen and children’s camps surfacing over the next few years.
Campers should have some experience with exercise to ensure safety, and they should have no more than one cardiovascular risk factor. This is also for women who like the support of a group of like-minded ladies striving to be their physical best. You do not need to be in great shape to join, and you do not need to be super fit.
What is It?
Boot camp is typically a one-hour workout performed outdoors year-round regardless of conditions. Camp starts with five to seven minutes of a warm-up and dynamic stretching. The next 40 minutes include a combination of strength training, cardiovascular conditioning, sprinting, yoga, Pilates, boxing, obstacle courses, drills, games and more.
No two workouts are alike, and everyone works to the best of their ability. Some camps have special days when you may go on a hike. Boot camps typically last for four weeks, then take a week or two off and then resume again. Most camps are five days a week, although some offer a three-day option. Those who attend all five days see the best results. The last five to 10 minutes of class are spent cooling down and stretching.Where Can I Find Boot Camps?
Boot camps can be found in towns all around the United States and world. They typically take place in a school yard, park or any flat black top or grass surface. To find a listing of boot camps and qualified instructors in the U.S. and nine other countries, go to www.bootcampfinder.com.
Camps can take place in warm and hot climates. Camps in Canada have been known to recommend bringing snow shoes for a workout. Instructors will rely on what is in natural and man-made surroundings to provide a fun, safe and adventurous boot camp that produces results.
When do boot camps take place?
Early morning boot camps are the most successful regarding attendance. Since exercise is not a spectator sport, attendance is key. Morning classes can be as early as 5:30 a.m. When you begin, this is going to feel very early, but about halfway through the first class you will understand what motivates people to participate.
By the time an hour is up, you will realize what a wonderful thing you have done for your body and that boot camp is the best choice you could make to start your day.
Top 10 Reasons to Participate in a Boot Camp
10. Studies show that being accountable to someone like a trainer or instructor increases your chances of sticking to a workout program -- especially if they are wearing fatigues!
9. Group workouts are shown to have higher compliance rates. That means you are more likely to stick to it.
8. Boot camps get you outdoors, expending calories, having fun, breathing fresh air, meeting people in your neighborhood and losing fat.
7. It’s affordable! Workouts range from $15 to $18 an hour -- so you are getting the expertise of a personal trainer at a fraction of the cost.
6. No gym membership or home equipment is necessary. All you need to get get started is a mat and a pair of dumbbells from 5 to 8 pounds.
5. Your workout is over before your family and colleagues are even awake.
4. You can be in a new body in four weeks. During the first four weeks, it's not unusual for ladies to shave two minutes off their timed mile, shed up to 10 pounds and go down a clothing size.3. You are more likely to eat a healthy breakfast. As you were taught in kindergarten, breakfast is the most important meal of the day. Many adults skip breakfast or opt for a less-than-desirable choice. After a boot-camp workout, you are going to want a hot shower and to eat a healthy meal to kick off your day
2. Your friends can join you. Mystery breeds company. Just kidding!
1. The No. 1 reason to join boot camp is that it's so early in the morning that you can be finally yourself. Everyone will have their hair tied back, no one will have on make up, and you don’t have to wear designer workout gear. Everyone is there to get in shape and be the very best they can be.
We are eating more and moving less. We spend most of our time indoors under florescent lights. Outdoor boot camps are a wonderful way to have a fun workout that is challenging, filled with variety, and gets you in touch with your body. Boot camps are guaranteed to get you in top shape. You may want to repeat it until you reach your desired body goal. You may like it so much you may never want to stop.Any personal health questions or problems mental or physical or before starting any diet or exercise program. Please consult your physician !
My mission is to provide you with "Trusted Advice for a Healthier Life."
Yours in good health